I love protests. It is an incredibly powerful and amazing experience to be out on the streets with other women being loud and vocal and taking up the very space The Patriarchy denies women. The #SpucOff protest today in Edinburgh [and other cities across the UK] was an incredible, if cold, experience. So many beautiful women standing up for the rights of other women. It was a privilege standing with these women in support of free and legal access to abortion for all women.
SPUC were out with their usual coterie of offensive images and factually incorrect posters about abortion but the sign that fucked me off the most was: “Women Need Love Not Abortions”. The unbelievably hypocrisy of this from a group who aren’t only anti-abortion but also against sex education, birth control, and gay marriage was breath-taking. Any organisation which is against sex education and birth control isn’t about “loving” women. Nor do they give a shit about the “children” they are supposedly saving through the banning of abortion.
If they did “love” women, they would be on the streets protesting about:
- poverty since we all know the vast majority of people living in poverty are elderly women and single mothers
- welfare reform which predominantly effects women especially those with children
- cuts to rape crisis services
- cuts to domestic violence services since children who witness domestic violence against their mothers are victims of abuse themselves.
- cuts to jobs in the public sector which effect mostly women and, in consequence, push their children further into poverty.
And, they wouldn’t be protesting against birth control because birth control is the one thing which does have an immediate effect on poverty and women’s health.
Preventing women from accessing birth control does not “save” unborn children. It harms women. It harms children.
I am pro-choice because I believe all women have the right to control their own bodies and the right to make personal choices about how many children they want to have. Denying women this choice is misogyny; pure and simple.
Petition to scrap the requirement for a second doctor’s signature when seeking abortion in the UK mainland